I recently took a 40 day cleanse from Social media and the main reason why I did this was because I found myself being dependent on social media and not my God. The first thing I did in the morning when I woke up was reach for my phone and instantly go to the Instagram app, and when I was done with that I would head on over to Facebook. I would poison my mind in the morning and it would take away from what I really needed to be doing. Instead I was lurking on social media trying to figure out what everyone else was doing with their life when I should be focused on the one who gave me life.
At first it was innocent, but then I started realizing I would start looking at other peoples lives like man, I want that. She’s doing big things in her ministry I want to do that too, or man she does awesome makeup, I wish I could do makeup like that. Even worse? I depended on social media to check on my loved ones or people that I haven’t spoken to in a while. I’d be like “I wonder how so and so is doing” and then I would go to their profile to see how they’re doing. The problem with that and what so many others do is that instead of picking up the phone to see how someone is doing, I’m going to their social media profile as if that’s really going to tell me how they’re doing. Let’s face it; no one is REALLY going to put how they are doing on social media (well some of ya’ll put too much though lol).
People are going to put happy things, things that make them look like they have it all together. Problem with that is that you’re not fooling anyone but yourself. You want so badly to find approval from people in this world instead of getting approval from the one person that will never let you down, the Lord.
You get a new car and the first thing you do is run and post it to social media instead of praising the one that made it possible for you to get that new car. You get a new house, new job. Etc. and you run to tell the world so you can hear things like “congrats, Great Job,” because you’re trying to keep up with the Jones’. Don’t believe everything you see on social media ya’ll! Everybody is going through something internally and instead of competing with each other on who has the better life; focus on the one who created it. Focus on bringing each other up, not down.
It’s ok to get influenced, just be careful you don’t find an idol in the process. Watch who you follow too, if you’re trying to get closer to the Lord and trying to do better, you probably should not follow the twerk team. I can’t tell you how many times I have to hit the unfollow button on those who post ignorant twerk videos, or those inappropriate memes. I’ll just stop there because I can go on. The other day my husband was on my Instagram on my phone and he said “All I see down your news feed are fitness, makeup, and pastor wives pages,” that made me feel great. It’s ok to get inspired and these are things that inspire me. I just have to be careful not to make these things my idol or become envious.
So instead of grabbing that phone every couple hours, put that phone down (or for me I have to put it on silent or turn it off) and pick up the bible to spend time with God.
This Valentines was the hubs and I 10th Valentines together! Wow, did I just say that? Yep … 10 years of being totally smitten by this guy!
He never ceases to amaze me at how romantic and cute he can be on Valentines Day. I walked into work to a dozen red beautiful roses and balloons at my desk that said, “I love you.”
Little did he know I had a few tricks up my sleeve as well! My husband is usually the one that plans the night and is very good at it too. I decided to take the hubby on a scavenger hunt. It was so adorable because he had no clue. I waited for the perfect moment to slip away. He went to give our Frenchie a bath and as soon as he closed the bathroom door…I jetted to the car to grab the clues and quickly put them in their place. I grabbed my bags and ran out the door.
I left the first clue and a note on our bedroom door that read….
“Happy Valentines Day! Roses are red, violets are blue, you rock my world, and I am CRAZY over you. I decided to do things a little different this year and take you on an adventure my dear. Follow each clue one by one and it will lead you to a surprise when you are done!”
Clue #1 “I’m the luckiest girl to wake up to your sweet face each morning.” Lol he said he was definitely stuck on the first clue … I seriously wish I had recorded him trying to figure out the clues lol.
The last clue told him to meet me at the place where we said “I do” and he found me!!!
He said it was so much fun and he definitely wants to go on another scavenger hunt. I wanted to do something sweet and memorable but also didn’t want to break the bank because we’re currently trying to save for a house. I think it’s safe to say he had a great time and I highly recommend doing a scavenger hunt for your man at some point.
Hope every one had a great Valentines Day!
Sorry I’ve been M.I.A, I’ve recently been on a health and social media cleanse and it’s been amazing. There’s nothing like taking away distractions and feeding your body, mind and spirit. It felt great to just totally unplug and not worry about the things of this world and spend all my time with JESUS. And for those that have been asking…no, I’m not pregnant…. (yet) HA!
One of the most important things I can do as a wife is be the best wife that I can be and that starts with my spiritual growth. As most of you know my husband has recently gone back to school to become a youth pastor and let me just start by saying WOW! We knew it would be hard, but we had no clue it would be this hard. He’s constantly reading, writing, and studying all while working a full time job. And guess who’s been right there to support him, yep me. I feel like I’ve gone back to school! Ha! I wouldn’t have it any other way and I am so proud of my husband.
Okay enough about me let’s get to the good stuff. I’ve been doing a lot of studying, because let’s face it, if my husband is growing spiritually and I’m just sitting behind a T.V or social media, I’m getting left behind in the dust. I recently picked up a book called “What to do When Love’s in View” by Dr. Conway and Jada Edwards and let me just tell you how amazing this book is! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. This book is a great reminder to myself of how I should be serving my husband.
Now I know I’ve talked about submission before, but this book paints it in such a beautiful way and uses such a beautiful word for it….S.E.R.V.E. We as women were created to S.E.R.V.E our husbands. Now before I dive into what that actually means don’t run away too fast, just listen 😉
- Support- Women were created from man, to support their man. God says in Genesis 2:18 “It is not good for man to be alone, I will make companion for him who corresponds to him,” no ladies this does not mean that you were created to be a doormat, but you were created to support your man. My example of this would be how I support my husband’s decision to go back to school. I could easily just leave him alone while he’s studying and do my own thing, but I’m right there with him every step of the way.
- Empower- Women were created to empower their men, NOT bring them down. Ladies whenever your man does something wrong, do NOT run and tell your girls all about what he doesn’t do for you and how frustrated you are with him. Remember you are one with this man so you’re talking about yourself as well. Lift him up in such a way that no one has anything bad to say about your man.
- Relate- There are going to be hard times in your marriage (that one is pretty inevitable), but one thing you don’t want to do is fight your husband…instead relate to him. This is a hard one for me because a lot of times when we’re upset I just want to scream and shout and make him see it my way, instead of relating to what he’s going through because like I said before…. we’re ONE. So whatever he’s going through, I’m going through it too and I need to lift him up, encourage him and work through our problems in a way that he can relate to, and not ignore me because I’m just nagging and yelling.
- Value a Covering- The day my husband and I got married I vowed to accept him as my protector, partner in crime, leader, and so on. I have to value his position to lead his house in a spiritual way. This one was also a very hard one for me to do because I’ve always had this “I’m Latina and I’m independent” persona. That worked when I was single, but now that I’m married I have to trust that my husband will lead our future children and me in the right direction and I can’t underestimate the power of my husband or God… Because let me remind you that your husband should be following the Lord as you are following him.
- Enhance- When I first think of this word I instantly think of beauty, which is true, you should always want to look beautiful for your man, but this means so much more. Everything should be better because you’re around. You make him a better person, the house looks better when you’re around, the kids look nice, and so on. Everything should be better because of you, because you’re an enhancement not only in his life, but also everything around you.
Well Ladies I hope I encouraged you all with my post. I’ve missed ya’ll and I’m glad to be back!